Tips and tricks to help you feel more at Home!
Since I was a young girl living at my parents’ house, I enjoyed helping my mother in decorating our home, I used to paint on vases choose new cushions and enjoy new wall art. Growing up, I thought I will end up studying interior design and following my passion. I did not and life took me somewhere else.
I never regretted my choices because my passion for design and home décor never changed, I enjoy decorating my home and getting new items each season to brighten up the mood of everybody.
My home feels cozy and welcoming, and I am so glad that my family loves to spend time in the house. I will not pretend to be an expert in home décor, but I do have a taste for beautiful items, and I love to mix and match and keep my house looking fresh. And by sharing some of my wisdom with you today through maple and mint, I hope to help you add some love, light, and color to your home.
I work and live much of my day in my home, and I believe strongly that we need to love the fact that we have a home…Having a space that makes you happy and reflects who you are is more important than people might think! Your home impacts so many aspects of your life, and when you fill it with designs, furniture, and accents that you love, it brings your internal self to external light. If you don’t feel that your home reflects who you are right now, that’s ok! Start small, focusing on one item at a time. After all, it’s always more about the journey than the destination.
Let’s start with some tips to help you feel more at home:
- Always choose small decorative items and accessories that can make a huge impact in a room. Decorative items are the most inexpensive way to freshen or add a new look to a room, but if a decorator is not careful, these items can quickly overtake the home.
- Choose quality over quantity, when it comes to room accessories, less is often more. One unique piece may work better in your space than loads of tiny knickknacks that have no value beyond price.
- Choose accessories that are the correct proportion. Before choosing and/or placing accessories, take the time to study scale and proportion and what fits best in your space.
- Combine textures and colors, neutrals are great in large furnishings and permanent fixtures, but inexpensive accessories are perfect to really break out with pops of color and varying textures. Accessories can and should be used to add visual interest and contrast in a space, and accessories can easily and inexpensively be altered or exchanged to fit changing moods, styles, or seasons.
- Add accessories in layers, large accessories should be placed first and sparingly, with medium- and small-sized accessories filling in and adding balance where needed. Several small accessories can give the "feel" of a large item when grouped, but don’t forget to leave some breathing room. Not every nook and cranny in a room needs to be filled with the decor.
Now that you see how simple new home decorating can be, decide on your style, prioritize your rooms and get started, and check our Look Book for inspiration. Your new home will look perfectly put together in no time!